We asked students to select the five most important and the five least important criteria for considering an abroad experience a success. These are the top five criteria for students while they are studying abroad (with all English and Italian versions of the questionnaire analyzed, n=880):
- Becoming more independent
- Gaining another perspective on the way things are at home
- Becoming more self-confident
- Improving communication skills in the local language
- Interacting with people from different origins
Students most frequently name ‘getting good grades’ and ‘feeling European’ as the least important criteria. On some criteria students are more divided with equal groups naming it as one of the most important and one of the least important criteria. This is the case for ‘building a network for my career’ and for ... having fun.